Pages

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Tag Stops Here

Since Jen decided to pass on the meme from her friend Dead Rooster aka Le Coq Mort aka Gallo Muerto, I'm honor-bound to treat it with the appropriate reverence. Note to Jen: It always helps to threaten a severe consequence like breaking out in boils all over or ill luck for the next seven years to keep the meme going.

I am to come up with eight random facts about myself, and tag eight fellow bloggers whom I know (Do I know eight bloggers ? I don't even have 8 on my blog roll!)

RULES:
1. Each player starts with 8 random facts/habits about themselves.
2. People who are tagged, write a blog post about their own 8 random things, and post these rules.
3. At the end of your post you need to tag 8 people and include their names.
4. Don’t forget to leave them a comment on their blog and tell them they have been tagged, and to come back and read your blog for the whole story.


Random Facts:

1.I like to chase squirrels and grackles away from the bird feeder. I jump out at them through the sliding door to our deck and wave my arms around like a silly windmill, just to watch them scurry away in alarm. (Alas, a couple of the offenders seem to have caught on to my bluff and merely wait a few feet away till I retire into the family room again.)

2.I polished off singlehandedly ( over a period of a week), 16 boxes (out of 24) of chocolate covered Sarris pretzel pairs that were supposed to have been part of a fundraiser reselling them. Heck, I paid for 'em, I might as well eat 'em. (M and S got about 4 boxes each). No, I did not gain 10 pounds in weight. I have good genes!

3. Languages known: English (best of all), Tamil (really well, but unfortunately I never did learn any swear words in it, even though it's my mother tongue), Hindi (enough to sing along with Bollywood songs and understand the dialog), Malayalam (enough to pass for a Tamilian speaking Malayalam badly), Sanskrit (enough to be dangerous trying to figure out when the priest at the local temple has bumbled in his rendition), French (Parisien accent, rolled 'rr's and all...) Plus, I can read Cyrillic and Urdu scripts, though I am rather rusty with the lack of practice. I'm aiming to learn Telugu, Bengali, Arabic and Chinese as well, if I can get hold of enough online material.

4.I've gone shampoo-free, and discovered the joys of shikakai and henna. Surprisingly, my hair and scalp have been behaving much better than when they were shampooed. Maybe, I can put my Hair-raising tales to an end after all and grow some more follicles before I hit menopause.

5.I'm an ambitious but untalented gardener with a brown-green thumb. Taking advantage of the early jump into summery heat, I've planted my garden early: snow peas, tomatoes, red peppers, spinach, radish, cucumbers, zucchini, bush beans and okra. (Crossing my fingers and hoping that a pesky frost doesn't derail my plans!)

6.I am an indifferent cook- meaning that I cook to live, not live to cook. Very, very, very rarely, one of my dishes will rise to the realm of greatness- most of it is humdrum South Indian fare (at least till the local Indian grocery doesn't run out of ingredients and rice.) I would rather be blogging and reading, anyway ;)

7.I like to sing Carnatic music while doing the dishes. This also guarantees that the kids keep out of the kitchen and snack cupboards, and allows me a 'moment of zen' while I splash around in the soap bubbles and running water.

8.I love creepy-crawlies and spend an inordinate amount of time trying to save spiders, centipedes and the like from the attacks of the 'Bug Squad' ( M & S armed with fly-swatters and bug vacuums).

-----THE TAG Stops here!------------------------------------

I'm also the dead end in all sorts of email chains, so will end up being the dead end in this blog tag as well. Sorry, Jen!

4 comments:

Jenn Thorson said...

Heh- I think it was a wonderful tag, Sujatha! It may take a while for me to purge the image of you waving off squirrels and grackles (it's a bit like a Wild Kingdom version of that one neighbor who tells the local kids to "Keep off my lawn!")

Nanda said...

'No, I did not gain 10 pounds in weight. I have good genes!'
:'(((( You stole all the good genes and left nothing for me..boo!hoo! :'((((
You should probably learn German and Spanish - might come in handy.
And I didnt know you liked creepy-crawlies!!! (Shudder!)

Sujatha said...

Jen: Thanks for giving me the opportunity to blow my own trumpet a bit. The fun was in trying to come up with truly random, pointless facts about myself.

Nandu:
Spanish shouldn't be too much of a stretch, given that I already have some Latin base with the French. But German: notinamillionyears, Bitte!
I'd have no use for it,since I am not planning to read Nietzsche in the original.

Emon said...

I'd once announced to a Chinese friend that I'd like to learn the language. She laughed and asked, "You really want to devote at least 3 years to it?"

I thought about it and Spanish it was.