Pages

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

New Look

To be honest, I've been getting really annoyed with dandelions this year.
It's the season when I see too many of the pesky puffs all over our yard, including the massive one next to our front door, so large and lush as to be practically ornamental. Earlier, I used to think, 'One man's weed is another's wildflower' and was highly inclined to let it go through its full life cycle without disturbance.
But with the inordinate sneezing that I've been suffering from over the last couple of weeks, triggered in part by the pollen, the iron has entered my soul. I am planning a rampage with the Weedhound, inveterate puller-upper of Canada thistles, dandelions, creeping charlie, cinquefoil and the like.
Since I plan to be the Destroyer of Dandelions, I thought it appropriate to go for a new look on the blog as well, replacing my earlier dandelion puff theme with a more neutral and hopefully, easier on the eyes, color and themes.
Please feel free to comment on the new appearance!

9 comments:

lekhni said...

Lovely new look! But then, I have always been partial to browns :)

I keep telling myself that dandelions are a menace, and last weekend I went around cutting off the flowers I saw as a quick-fix. But it is hard to do because those yellow flowers are really cheerful looking and beautiful..

Sujatha said...

I think I have a better idea as to what to do with the uprooted dandelions, especially since we don't use pesticides on our lawn. Dandelion root coffee sounds like the cure for all ailments ;)

Sujatha said...

P.S. I forgot to add, glad that you like the new look. I had been toying with the idea of cool blues, but veered towards the brown in the end.

kochuthresiamma p j said...

lush growth of flowr! always makes me nostagic fo what i have never experiences except in my imagination!
any idea as to what dandelions may be called in this part of the world(Kerala)?
a riot of dandelions-must b a beauty of a sight.
but beauty lies inthe experience of the beholder
and like u said one man's meat, other man's poison

kochuthresiamma p j said...

oops! sorry for the sp mistakes- slip of the fingers - i have this terrible habit of reading only after i publish

Sujatha said...

A dandelion in full bloom is a gorgeous sight, even if they are considered noxious weeds in the suburbs. The picture in my post is a Gimped up version of a dandelion photo I took last year, as well as the seed head (puff) picture that I used to have on the blog banner.
No, we don't really get to see a riot of dandelions here, they just appear as yellow dots on vast expanses of green.
There are no dandelions in Kerala,as far as I recall seeing, except on the pages of Enid Blyton ;)

Nanda said...

The closest to dandelions I can think of is the 'Jamanthi' in Kerala...what say?

Sujatha said...

'Jamanthi' is marigold, not dandelion which belongs to a different plant family (Asters). Despite the similarities in appearance, they are not really related.

Nanda said...

Yup..exactly...that's all I meant...the similiarity in appearance rather than the relation per se.