Pages

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Tunnel Vision

I started a new job on Monday, and for the past three days, have been trying alternate routes every day to work. The commute goes through two tunnels, of which the first is the most horrendous traffic approach devised by those devilish road designers. Three major roadways and two shared parkways make for a bottleneck without peer in this region. The second tunnel isn't too bad, since I'm driving counter to the main flow of the traffic through it, and it also doesn't have major merge points before it.On a weekend, the same stretch that took me 30 minutes this morning, would have been covered in all of 5 minutes.
Coming back, I hoped for a better against-the-flow timing, but got mired in school traffic, with crossing guards holding up their stop signs as they waved packs of kids across the road.
Tomorrow, determined to stay out of the tunnel-vision crowd, I've used the maps at google.com to plan a route that takes me away on side roads. I will need to time it and see how long it takes.

4 comments:

Sujatha said...

Best wishes for a smooth transition at the new job.

Sujatha said...

Thanks for the good wishes, S.

Alas, the side road route didn't save me much time. I had to retrace my path at least twice and it ended up taking me 1 hour and 20 minutes to reach the office. Well, at least I know a tunnel-free route to that area, and the traffic is never at a standstill except for traffic lights.
I still have alternative route D to try out tomorrow, don't have any great expectations for it either.

Lekhni said...

Cheer up, it will only get worse when it starts snowing ;)

Sujatha said...

Actually, it might get better when it snows: Consider that some of the traffic on the roads will reduce instead of attempting to drive into town.
Hopefully by then, I will be able to work from home and go into the office only 3 times a week. We'll see.
Plan D, which I tried out today, wasn't a bad option. I did get there in 50 minutes instead of the 70 minutes of yesterday. Maybe I'll stick with that route until the day the traffic there goes to hell.