Pages

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Frosted Pinks and Eggheads



Yesterday and the day before brought back the flurries and snow fall. So I was treated to Daffodils on Ice and Frosted Pinks when I ventured out to refill the bird feeder.

We finished the first set of Pysanki that M, S and I attempted at a friend's house. They turned out very pretty, S's orange Egghead, M's burgundy with daisies and my white on blue freehand vines and a more stylized turquoise and royal blue pattern.
I've ordered a set of dyes and supplies to try out more intricate designs: surely these are not meant to be done at Easter alone- they're too much fun to make. It's a pity that the regular craft stores and markets don't carry supplies for Ukrainian egg decorating. I had to special order over the internet and have every intention of trying out some really elaborate patterns soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love love love them! Any pointers to get started? thanks for the cool idea!
gayu

Sujatha said...

I purchased the supplies from Ukrainian Gift Shop, though this store also seems to have good prices and kits. There is also a detailed primer with photographs here.
This is a good craft for older kids and adults and can be extremely elaborate, as you will probably see if you try searching for examples.
Do be careful with the hot wax, and have fun!

Amit said...

Ah, we in Boston were spared!! After we had 12 inches of snow on April Fool's Day few years ago, we Bostonians remain wary (and somewhat weary) and don't celebrate the end of winter till we're well into April.

Beautiful eggs!