Pages

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Hooked on Jeeves

I was determined to get my share of the Netflix videos. The kids had been hogging all the spots on the queue for the last couple of months. After casting around rather desperately through an unappetizing listing of "DVDs you'll love", the Netflix algorithm finally got me with a suggestion of  "Jeeves and Wooster", based on the P.G.Wodehouse novels. I had read maybe one book of that series, I didn't read the rest (I was a huge Blandings Castle fan, and also loved the Psmith stories). The DVD would fit the bill for something that I might like to watch, instead of kiddy stuff and war movies.
The opening episode started off with a very catchy swing tune and slightly old-fashioned but cute animation to match. Then the laughs started. Mine, M's and S too. We happily munched on snacks and watched Bertie Wooster careen from one misadventure to the next, always saved by his man Jeeves in good time from an awful fate, be it matrimony or the throes of attempting to learn the trombone ( a stand-in for the banjolele, must have been hard to get one, or something.)
This was supposed to be my selection for Me-time. Instead, I have a whole group rushing from the most remote nooks and crannies of the house, the moment they hear the Jeeves and Wooster theme music.
Next, I've ordered the omnibus edition with the stories that the TV series is based on. Let's see if I can get the kids hooked on reading it.
Here's a little taste of why they love it so much.

No comments: