Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

Hear, Hear!

It's that time of the year again when our yard sits carpeted in brown, red and yellow. Our deck too. I decided to try a little bit of raking at lunchtime and headed out, rake and bags in hand. And iPod and earbuds. Nothing like listening to mellifluous Carnatic music while I filled the bags with the oak leaves.
At least, that's what I thought till I bent down to scoop the leaves into the bag, and the right earbud promptly fell out, leaving just a tiny tinny sound from the left earbud. I spent half an hour juggling garden gloves, leaves, rake and earbuds, and ended up with only one bag filled where I normally would have managed two or three.
How do all those ads show smiling sportspeople and breakdancers twirling around with impunity, while their earbuds appear glued to their ear and don't fall out as easily as mine? Am I special, or deficient in some way?
Then I chanced upon this article, and learned that there is even a name for this affliction: Earbud Cartilage Deficiency Syndrome. Yay, at last someone has investigated it and possible solutions.
David Pogue, I salute you!

3 comments:

kochuthresiamma p .j said...

sony & others - they factor in everything, dont they. provide for all possible hitches. amazing!

Sujatha said...

I only wish Apple would have done the same, instead of pairing an expensive product with poorly designed headphones!

kochuthresiamma p .j said...

my ipod is apple - more than 5 yrs old. no complaints absolutely. the earphones fit me perfectly;-). guess i'm one of those lucky ones with the earphone friendly ears.