Pages

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Baby Sparrow

It looked at me and turned its back, busily attempting to munch on the remnants of an oak blossom stuck to our mat. Only the picture window and screen separated us, as I knelt on the carpet about 2 feet away inside the house, while the baby sparrow sat outside on the deck.

I moved up sneakily, every time its back was turned, feeling faintly like the creepy stone angels of Dr.Who. In just three tries, I was practically nose to beak with it.It stood unafraid and continued to chirp silently through the glass, picking at bits of dried leaf now. I could practically hear it accusing me "I'm hungry, give me food!", just like my human kids coming home ravenous after a hard day at school.

"Come here quick!", I called out to M, as she tapped away aimlessly at her iPod. "You have to see this little bird." She rushed and knelt by my side, as I continued my silent communion with the little feathered friend. It chirped some more, preened its feathers. "Look at the line of down around the wings!', M exclaimed. "What kind of bird is it?"

I didn't know offhand, though it had all the markings of a sparrow. I would need to look it up later. Should I rush for my camera or phone to try and capture it, or rest in the moment and just watch it? Decisions, decisions.  The minutes ticked by, and routine called. It was time to continue getting ready for school and work and the morning rush hour.

I stepped away regretfully, and sure enough, a moment later, Baby Sparrow had flown away.

Here is a photo of a baby sparrow, though not the one I saw, just to give a feel for what my encounter was like.  Although I must say, my baby sparrow was immeasurably cuter.                  

2 comments:

Balachandran V said...

As ever, your post carries the smells and colours of the garden! The other day a baby crow ( chick) fell from a tree in our compound. Its eyes were covered with red ants. How gratifying it was to pick it up, clean and feed a little rice! And later, with adults crows hovering over my head threateningly, I took her to little bush. Maybe the parents would have come; maybe...

Sujatha said...

Hopefully, the parents of your little crow accepted him/her without further ado. I looked up ants and found this curious little-known practice by some species of birds, called anting : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anting_%28bird_activity%29

Although the baby crow may have been too young to attempt 'anting' on its own, it was more likely being attacked by them.